Homeowner Assistance Program SKIP TO PAGE CONTENT

Homeowner Assistance Program

Homeowner Assistance Program Application Totals

What is HAP?

HAP helps homeowners affected by Hurricane Harvey repair and rebuild their homes. The housing program is administered by the GLO and provides homeowner assistance through:

  • Repairing and rehabilitating homes
  • Reconstruction
  • Improving a damaged home so that it is stronger against natural disasters
  • Elevating homes above flood level
  • Temporary relocation assistance

Have A Question?

Contact the Texas General Land Office via email at cdr@recovery.texas.gov - please include your full name, address, and county.

or call

Recovery Hotline:
1.844.893.8937 (Toll Free)

Phone Hours:

  • Monday - Friday 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.

Who can qualify?

Homeowners affected by Hurricane Harvey who live in one of the eligible counties listed below. Please note for the City of Houston and Harris County, the GLO is currently accepting applications.

Houston homeowners with a remaining Hurricane Harvey Housing need that have not applied to the City of Houston may apply to the GLO. To learn more visit: recovery.texas.gov/hap/houston

Harris County homeowners with a remaining Hurricane Harvey Housing need may apply to the GLO. To learn more visit: hap/harris-county/index.html

An application must be submitted along with required documents for consideration. The program is first-come, first serve and only available for a main home (primary residence).

Want to know your application status? CLICK HERE

How can I appeal a denial decision?

To appeal your denial letter, you must first appeal with your regional applicant coordinator. If you receive a second denial, you may appeal directly to the GLO for a final decision. To learn more about the appeals process, please review the following document:

What if my Harvey damaged home was affected by Imelda?

What can homeowners expect during and after HAP?

The Texas General Land Office’s (GLO) Homeowner Assistance Program has successfully reached the hardest hit, low and moderate income, vulnerable, and historically hard-to-reach families and individuals as defined by the Fair Housing Act and required by the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD).


  • HUD requires at least 70% of all program funds to benefit low- to moderate-income families. The GLO surpassed this requirement by awarding more than 75% of program funds to low- to moderate-income families and individuals.
  • The GLO surpassed HUD requirements by awarding 90% of program funds to date to families and individuals in the HUD most impacted and distressed areas. HUD rules require a minimum of 80% of program funds be spent in HUD-designated most impacted and distressed areas. The remaining 20% may be spent in state-identified most impacted and distressed areas.

HAP Assistance to Low- to Moderate-Income Families and Within Most-Impacted Areas:

For application information, click your county for your regional program:


The GLO is committed to assisting Texans in the recovery process through this program and has the following services available:

  • Language assistance available by request: 512-463-5139. To request translation assistance with documents, events or other information, please leave a detailed message with your name, phone number and questions, and an interpreter will return your call with additional information. 
  • TTD line for the hearing impaired: 512-463-5330
  • Texas RELAY for speech or hearing impaired: 7-1-1
  • Complaint and Appeals process   

GLO Homeowner Resources

Public Service Announcements