SKIP TO PAGE CONTENT

Hurricane Harvey

Through multiple appropriations from Congress, the U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development has allocated more than $5.734 billion in Community Development Block Grants for Disaster Recovery funds to the State of Texas for long-term disaster recovery. The GLO will administer these funds for housing, infrastructure and planning through state and local programs.

The State Action Plan for Hurricane Harvey has been published and approved for the initial $57.8 million allocation. An Action Plan for the subsequent allocation of $5.024 billion, the largest single allocation in history, was initially approved by HUD on June 25, 2018. Amendment 1 to the $5.024 State Action Plan closed public comment on October 6, 2018 and is currently pending HUD approval. Amendment 1 provides for the local recovery plans for Harris County and the City of Houston for their direct allocations from the GLO. These plans can be found on the Hurricane Harvey Action Plan Page

In April, HUD announced an additional $4.7 billion allocation for Texas. Currently, $652,175,00 of the additional allocation has been designated by HUD to provide for unmet housing needs. The remaining $4,074,456 allocation is pending guidance from HUD.

To expedite the recovery process with these funds, the GLO will administer a number of programs including a multi-family recovery program, and a repair reimbursement program. The GLO continues to encourage all impacted homeowners to keep receipts for any repairs made on their home, to include insurance and FEMA funds, to determine CDBG-DR funding eligibility.

  • Homeowner Assistance Program ($1.098 billion): Provides funding for rehabilitation and reconstruction of owner-occupied single-family homes damaged by Hurricane Harvey.
  • Local Buyout and Acquisition Program ($275 million): Local governments may buyout or acquire eligible homes at a pre-storm or post-storm fair market value to move homeowners out of harm’s way outside of a floodplain to a lower-risk area.
  • Homeowner Reimbursement Program ($100 million): Allows homeowners to be reimbursed for certain out-of-pocket expenses incurred for repairs to their home including reconstruction, rehabilitation or mitigation up to $50,000.
  • Affordable Rental Program ($250 million): Provides funding for rehabilitation, reconstruction and new construction of affordable multi-family housing units in areas impacted by Hurricane Harvey.
  • Economic Revitalization Program ($100 million): Allows for interim assistance to small businesses (up to $250,000) impacted by Hurricane Harvey through deferred forgivable loans in exchange for job creation or retention for low-to-moderate income employees. Small business within Harris County and the city of Houston will be eligible to apply for this program.
  • Local Infrastructure Program ($413 million): Repairs, enhances and restores infrastructure for local communities impacted by Hurricane Harvey as part of a comprehensive long-term recovery program. Match for FEMA Public Assistance and Hazard Mitigation Grant Programs may be eligible.
  • Local, Regional & State Planning ($137 million): In collaboration with local communities, the GLO will conduct planning studies in the impacted areas with the purpose of promoting sound regional long term recovery.
  • Harris County - Direct Allocation ($1.1 billion): Harris County has elected to develop their own local recovery programs with exception of the Economic Revitalization Program. The locally developed plan has been submitted to HUD for final approval, as Amendment 1 to the $5.024 billion State Action Plan.
  • City of Houston - Direct Allocation ($1.1 billion): The city of Houston has elected to develop their own local recovery programs with exception of the Economic Revitalization Program. The locally developed  plan has been submitted to HUD for final approval, as Amendment 1 to the $5.024 billion State Action Plan.
  • PREPS Program - State Match ($72.7 million): As a Hurricane Harvey Public Assisance program, FEMA pays for 90% of the expenses, and the GLO has allocated these CDBG-DR to cover the remaining 10% needed for the program.

2016 Floods

After multiple allocations from HUD, the GLO has published the Action Plan for $238,895,000 in CDBG-DR funds as a result of the 2016 Floods. Included in the Action Plan is the HUD requirement that 80% of the funds go to Brazoria, Fort Bend, Harris, Montgomery and Newton Counties. The most up-to-date Plan can be found on the 2016 Floods Action Plan Page.


2015 Floods

After multiple allocations from HUD, the GLO has published the Action Plan for $67,111,200 in CDBG-DR funds as a resout of the 2015 Floods. Included in the Action Plan is the HUD requirement that 80% of the funds go to Harris, Hays, Hidalgo and Travis Counties. The Most up-to-date Plan can be found on the 2015 Floods Action Plan Page